A “Me Too” Continuous Integration moment

I watched a “me too” moment while in the xChange12 breakout session “How to Use the Power of Dimensions CM to Drive Continuous Integration” by Paul Caruana, a member of the Serena Support team. Paul was talking about how Serena uses Jenkins with Dimensions CM to enable continuous integration in our development lab. It was at that point that one of Serena’s customers asked about the ability to integrate Subversion (configuration management), Jenkins (continuous integration) and Dimensions CM (deployment). Before Paul could answer, three other customers added, “We want to do that too. What’s the answer?” As a software provider, we obviously want our customers to use as much of our software as possible. As a company focused on customer satisfaction, this “me too” moment reinforced what we know – we must be able to easily integrate with our customers’ other software investments. BTW … Paul’s answer was “yes”.

Greg Sikes joined Serena in June 2011 as Vice President, Product Management, ALM. Prior to Serena, over the past 25+ years, he has worked in aerospace (McDonnell Douglas), CAE (MSC Software) and ALM (Telelogic / IBM Rational).

Comments

Pete on September 19th, 2012 at 6:54 am

So after he said yes, did he pass out a handy guide how to do it? Or perhaps you could provide a link describing this integration in more detail. Thanks.

Greg Sikes on September 19th, 2012 at 7:57 am

Pete … Paul C is drafting a process a process brief that describes how to implement a working scenario. I’ve asked Paul to jump in and provide more details.

Paul Caruana on September 20th, 2012 at 4:12 am

Hello Pete

After the presentation I was able to meet with each one of the interested parties, and describe what I thought would achieve what the customer wanted. We were in all agreement that the idea was sound. I have now been able to draft a proposal based on a two CI project solution, which I have now been able to test and would appear to be working fine for me.

If you want to have a copy of the document, I would be happy to email you a copy.

Sara on September 24th, 2012 at 5:24 am

Good Morining,
We are starting the process to figure out how to intergrate all three products together and any information would be great! Thanks

Carol on October 2nd, 2012 at 12:40 pm

I would also be interested in seeing the document.

Thanks!

John on October 4th, 2012 at 8:15 am

I’d also like to see it if possible. Thanks!

Shawn on October 4th, 2012 at 2:10 pm

I would also be interested in this…or even something with git…a tool many dev teams in our organization are using.

Greg Sikes on October 10th, 2012 at 8:45 am

Hi everyone. Paul Caruana has posted an article describing “how to” in the Serena KB. Feedback/Questions welcome.

Please follow this link: http://knowledgebase.serena.com/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=S139179

Name: